Education Assistance

Did you know?? Many Colleges have a Veterans Liaison/ Advisor in the school, who can help you apply for your military education benefits as well as choose the programs that are right for you.

Tuition waiver for all Massachusetts veterans to all state colleges and universities
M.G.L. ch. 15A, s.19

GI BILL Ask a question TOLL FREE NUMBER 888-442-4551




WHAT IS benefit TRANSFERABILITY? (Read-Transferability Factsheet.pdf)
The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or Selected Reserve), to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense.

Spouses of fallen Soldiers can now apply for the Fry Scholarship  Click here to Read more

The Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”) was recently signed into law. Most of the Act pertains to Veterans health care but it also included two provisions affecting GI Bill® benefits. This note pertains to the Fry Scholarship; my next note will talk about in-state tuition.Section 701 of the Choice Act expands the Fry Scholarship to include the surviving spouses of Service-members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001.

Prior to this law, only children of those who died in the line of duty were eligible for this benefit. We have had the honor to have served 1,279 children under the Fry Scholarship in FY 2013 and we look forward to now honoring the surviving spouses. The law states eligible spouses are entitled to receive: 36 months of full benefits, equal to 100% level of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, this includes tuition and fee payment, a monthly housing allowance, and a stipend for books and supplies. Training must start on or after January 1, 2015. Training prior to January 1, 2015, is not eligible to receive benefits under Section 701. A spouse has 15 years from the date of the Service Member’s death to utilize benefits. If a spouse remarries, benefits end the date of the remarriage.

Some spouses currently eligible for, or already receiving, benefits under the Survivors’ and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program may now be eligible for the Fry Scholarship. DEA is an educational program offering up to 45 months of education benefits to eligible dependents of Veterans who died while on active duty, as well as dependents of Veterans who died as a result of a service-connected condition or are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition. Surviving spouses of Servicemembers who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001, will have to make a one-time irrevocable election to receive either the Fry Scholarship or DEA. VA Benefits Administration (VBA) expects to begin accepting Fry Scholarship applications by mail from spouses starting Monday, November 3, 2014. Click here to Read more

Searching for the right college? Click here to find Veteran Friendly schools with

ROTC - Is it for you?

Military Education Benefits and Programs

Montgomery GI Bill
The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

Post 9-11GI Bill
Veterans who have served at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001 and received an honorable discharge will qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the full benefit a veteran must have served at least 3 years of active duty after September 10, 2001. Those who qualify for the Active Duty GI Bill, the Reserve GI Bill or REAP will have the option to choose which benefit best suits their need..

For those who served on active duty after 9/10/2001, the following chart applies: 
Member Serves Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable At least 36 months 100% At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability 100% At least 30 months, but less than 36 months 90% At least 24 months, but less than 30 months 80% At least 18 months, but less than 24 months 70% At least 12 months, but less than 18 months 60% At least 06 months, but less than 12 months 50% At least 90 days, but less than 06 months 40%

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents
The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.
Official DoD Website for Information on Transferability (Non VA link) 
Factsheet on Transferability of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits Transferability_Factsheet.pdf

Military Tuition Assistance
Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.     
Additionally active duty members may elect to use the MGIB "top-up" in addition to their service provided TA to cover high cost courses. REAP

Reserve Educational Assistance
REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

For more information see the REAP Pamphlet

VALOR ACT Military Training for Civilian Credit
The  also calls for the state Board of Higher Education to require each public institution of higher education to develop a set of policies and procedures governing the evaluation of a student’s military occupation(s), military training, coursework, and experience, in order to determine whether academic credit shall be awarded for such experience, training, and coursework. The policy must be in place by March 1, 2013

The Commercial Driver License (CDL) skills test waiver form may be used by service members who are currently licensed and who are or were employed within the last 90 days in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV). This waiver allows a qualified service member to apply for a CDL without skills testing. CDL knowledge (written) test(s) cannot be waived. The transfer of a School Bus(S) endorsement under this Waiver Program is prohibited.


Veterans Educational Assistance Program
VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. Your contributions are matched on a $2 for $1 basis by the Government. You may use these benefits for degree, certificate, correspondence, apprenticeship/on-the-job training programs, and vocational flight training programs. In certain circumstances, remedial, deficiency, and refresher training may also be available.  Benefit entitlement is 1 to 36 months depending on the number of monthly contributions. You have 10 years from your release from active duty to use VEAP benefits. If there is entitlement not used after the 10-year period, your portion remaining in the fund will be automatically refunded.
For more information see the VEAP pamphlet

VOC REHAB for unemployed Veterans
Veterans with a service-connected disability who previously completed a VA vocational rehabilitation program and have exhausted their initial claim for unemployment benefits may qualify for another 12 months of VA vocational rehabilitation benefits. You must have previously completed a VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program and been considered "rehabilitated." You must apply within six months of using up your initial claim for unemployment benefits. You can still collect extended or emergency unemployment if you qualify for those benefits. You can apply now, but cannot start education or training until June 1, 2012. You must apply to VA by March 31, 2014. There are several ways to apply or get more information about whether you qualify: Call VA at 1-800-827-1000 and ask to speak with Vocational Rehabilitation Visit and fill out an online application (VONAPP) for Vocational Rehabilitation Apply by completing VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, and submitting it to the nearest VA Regional Office 
Vocational and Educational Counseling apply by sending VA Form 22-8832
Fax: 617-303-4988

Dependent / Survivor Education Benefits and Programs

Survivor and Dependent Assistance

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. Effective October 1, 2013 some DEA beneficiaries may be eligible for 81 months of GI Bill benefits if they are eligible for more than one education benefit.
For more information click here.

These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

DEA Pamphlet (CH 35)

Current payment rates.

For information on the Marine GYSGT John David Fry Scholarship click here


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

College Search Assistance for Military and Veterans

US News logo

US News and World Report: Best Colleges for veterans; National Universities

AC Online Colleges for Military Personnel and Veterans

Special Operations Warrior Foundation

Upward Bound (at Boston University)
Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of post-secondary education.