Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE)
EEE is a rare but serious illness spread by mosquitoes. While EEE can infect people of all ages, people under 15 years of age or over 50 years of age are at greatest risk for serious illness.
West Nile virus (WNV)
While WNV can infect people of all ages, people over the age of 50 are at higher risk for severe infection. There is currently no evidence to suggest that touching a dead bird can transmit WNV directly to humans. WNV is most commonly transmitted to humans by the bite of a mosquito infected with the virus.
The Marshfield Board of Health continues to work closely with the MDPH and other agencies to improve awareness of and decrease the risk from EEE and WNV.
Fact sheets on WNV & EEE and on reducing exposure to mosquitoes are available at the Board of Health, or below. Additional information can also be found on the Plymouth County Mosquito Control Project web page: http://www.plymouthmosquito.org/
Ways to help reduce exposure:
- Limit your time outdoors during peak periods of mosquito activity (dusk and dawn) or, if you must remain outdoors, wear a long-sleeved shirt and long pants.
- Use a mosquito repellent that contains DEET or Picaridin. Oil of lemon eucalyptus may also be considered. Products with permethrin should only be used on clothing. Always follow the directions on the label. Repellents should not be used on children younger than two months of age. Oil of lemon eucalyptus should not be used on children under three years of age.
- Take special care to cover up the arms and legs of children playing outdoors.
- Fix any holes in your screens and make sure they are tightly attached to all of your doors and windows.
- Remove any standing water around your home that is available for mosquito breeding. Mosquitoes will begin to breed in any puddle or standing water that lasts for more than four days. Make sure water does not collect and stagnate in ceramic pots, trash cans, recycling containers, old tires, wading pools, birds baths, etc. Remove leaves and debris that may prevent drainage of roof gutters.