Since 2010 the Marshfield Building Department has had an online permit management system which allows online permit application submittals, permit sign-offs and permitting process review for all building, electrical, plumbing, gas, sheet metal, fire sprinkler, sign, wood stove and tent permits. You must set up an account to use the system. There is an available computer at the window of the Building Department and at the Marshfield Ventress Library if you do not have access to a computer. The staff at the Building Department is available to direct you in the application of permits, including helping you set up your account and assist you in using the system.
Please note this program works best with the browser FireFox across all operating systems and computer brands. Google Chrome and Apple's Safari drop out some features of our permit program and Internet Explorer is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Click on the link to Create An Account in the Permit Management System or to Sign Into Your Account in the Permit Management System.
For office hours and inspection times please see the hours listed below for specific disciplines.
Generally speaking, for new construction homes, additions, farmer's porches, open decks and sheds larger than 64 square feet you will be required to submit:
- One certified plot plan in PDF format showing all lot lines, the proposed building location with measurements to the front, side and rear lot lines;
- One engineer certified stamped set of drawings in PDF format for the proposed work drawn to scale showing the foundation, floor plans, elevations, framing plans and structural details for steel and/or LVL beams as well as 110 m.p.h. wind code or in lieu of an engineer certified stamped set of drawings the MA Checklist For Compliance with 780 CMR R301.2.1.1 Design Criteria in PDF format;
- Locate smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as well as any other life safety systems on floor plans per 780 CMR Section R314, R315 Ninth Edition State Building Code IRC One and Two-Family Dwellings;
- Documentation in PDF format showing compliance with the Energy Code (a ResCheck for alterations/renovations or a HERS Rating for new construction);
- Building permit application online filled out completely; and
- A copy of the Builder’s Construction Supervisor License, Home Improvement Contractor registration, and Worker’s Compensation Insurance Affidavit to be entered into the applicable areas of the online permit application.
- All permit documentation shall be scanned into a PDF file format and attached to the online permit application. The maximum file size that can be submitted is 10 MB.
Once you have filled out a permit application online through the permit management system and submitted it online it is only in a preliminary stage.
Each permit will require specific Town Department sign-offs tailored to the scope of the work. The Building Department will send the permit application to the appropriate departments. Permits are not considered officially submitted to the building department until all sign-offs have been approved. You may follow your permit review process online by signing into your account and clicking on the Town Information "i" button. After all signoffs have been affirmatively completed your application will be reviewed by the Building Inspector who will review your application and attachments, create the reviewed drawings for your project (if applicable) and attach the reviewed documents, calculate and input the permit fee then the applicant will receive an email when the fee is ready for payment. After the fee has been paid and your permit has been issued you may start your work and call our office to schedule your inspection.
Office Hours and Inspection Hours:
The Building Department is open Monday: 8:00am-7:00pm, Tuesday-Thursday 8:00am-4:00pm, Friday: 8:00am-12:30pm.
Building Inspectors are available Monday-Thursday 8:00am-10:00am and 3:30pm-4:00pm, Friday 8:00am-9:00am, Monday evening 5:00 pm-7:00pm, or by appointment.
Building Inspections are Monday-Thursday 10:00am-3:30pm and Friday 9:00am-12:00pm.
The Plumbing and Gas Inspector is available in the office Monday evening 5:00pm-7:00pm and Tuesday-Friday 8:30am-9:30am.
Plumbing and Gas Inspections are scheduled 7:00am-8:30am Monday-Friday.
The Electrical Inspector is available in the office Monday evening 5:00pm-7:00pm and Monday-Friday 6:00am-7:00am.
Electrical Inspections are scheduled Monday 7:00am-8:00am and 5:00pm-7:00pm, Tuesday 7:00am-8:00am, Wednesday and Thursday 7:00am-8:00am and 5:00pm-7:00pm, and Friday 1:30pm-4:30pm.
To Schedule An Inspection:
Inspections are scheduled on a first come-first serve basis. To schedule an inspection for the next day please call 781-834-5555 Monday-Thursday before 3:30pm and Friday before 12:00pm and speak with a staff member, as inspections cannot be scheduled from a voice mail message, email or online within the permit management system.