The 12,600 sq. ft. Marshfield Senior Center opened October 13, 2003. Its central function is to provide a home for the Marshfield Council On Aging (COA), the town’s primary human services department. The Center is under the care, custody and control of the Board of Selectmen, who appoint the nine-person COA, a policy-making Board. The Director manages the day-to-day operation.
COA MISSION: As a human service agency, the Council on Aging provides and coordinates services to the senior community of Marshfield, assisting individuals to live with dignity and to enhance quality of life. We identify the needs of the senior community and implement services and programs that enocurage self-reliance, good health, education and community involvement. We advocage for seniors and increase citizens' awareness of our efforts to meet these challenges.
THE SENIOR CENTER is the focal point for adults aged 60 and over to come together for:
- Companionship to counteract isolation
- Stimulating Activities to exercise the mind and body
- Social Services to promote senior health and independence
- Assistance to Families and Caregivers seeking help for their elderly loved ones
- Volunteer Opportunities to share of themselves and their wisdom and friendliness
SUPPORT SERVICES and PROGRAMS provide assistance with:
- Wellness: personal safety, nutrition, exercise, caregiving, information and referrals
- SHINE: health insurance counseling, social service, referrals, in-home support
- Nutrition: hot lunch,, Meals On Wheels, grocery shopping
- Housing: home maintenance and repair, subsidized senior housing and placement
- Transportation: free scheduled shuttle/van/volunteer drivers for around town and medical appointments
- Financial: subsidies, utility/property tax exemptions/deductions/deferrals, money management, income tax form preparation, fuel assistance, referrals
- Advocacy, Outreach and Education for and about senior issues and needs
- Baby Boomer Planning for the coming surge in the senior population
HOURS of OPERATION are 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday-Friday. In bad weather we may close when the Town Hall closes.
CITIZEN SUPPORT: Citizens and interested parties can support the COA by
- Volunteering. In FY’16, 279 volunteers provided 36,010 hours of service
- Financial Gifting (income tax deductible) to the:
- MARSHFIELD COA GIFT ACCOUNT, which receives monetary gifts for COA expenses/services/programs/equipment, is separate from the Town’s general funds, and is under full COA control
- MARSHFIELD COA BOOSTERS, Inc., a non-profit, tax exempt 501(c) 3 organization whose purpose is to raise funds for the COA.
- Both MAILING ADDRESSES=: 230 Webster Street, Marshfield, Ma 02050
SCHEDULE A VISIT OR ASK QUESTIONS BY CALLING THE COA AT 781-834-5581