Education Assistance

GI Bill, Voc Rehab, Dependents' Education Assistance, Tuition Assistance

Did you know?? Many Colleges have a Veterans Liaison/ Advisor in the school, who can help you apply for your military education benefits as well as choose the programs that are right for you.



Tuition waiver for all Massachusetts veterans to all state colleges and universities
M.G.L. ch. 15A, s.19

GI BILL Ask a question TOLL FREE NUMBER 888-442-4551




WHAT IS benefit TRANSFERABILITY? (Read-Transferability Factsheet.pdf)
The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or Selected Reserve), to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense.

Spouses of fallen Soldiers can now apply for the Fry Scholarship  Click here to Read more

Searching for the right college? Click here to find Veteran Friendly schools with

ROTC - Is it for you?(Best College Guide)

Funding college with ROTC:Affordable Colleges Guide

Military Education Benefits and Programs

Montgomery GI Bill
The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). Under Chapter 30, Active Duty members enroll and pay $100 per month for 12 months; and are then entitled to receive a monthly education benefit once they have completed a minimum service obligation. Under Chapter 1606, a reservist must be actively drilling and have a 6-year obligation in the Selected Reserve to be eligible.

Post 9-11GI Bill
Veterans who have served at least 90 days of active duty service after September 10, 2001 and received an honorable discharge will qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To qualify for the full benefit a veteran must have served at least 3 years of active duty after September 10, 2001. Those who qualify for the Active Duty GI Bill, the Reserve GI Bill or REAP will have the option to choose which benefit best suits their need..

For those who served on active duty after 9/10/2001, the following chart applies: 
Member Serves Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable At least 36 months 100% At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability 100% At least 30 months, but less than 36 months 90% At least 24 months, but less than 30 months 80% At least 18 months, but less than 24 months 70% At least 12 months, but less than 18 months 60% At least 06 months, but less than 12 months 50% At least 90 days, but less than 06 months 40%

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI-Bill Benefits to Dependents
The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.
Official DoD Website for Information on Transferability (Non VA link) 
Factsheet on Transferability of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits Transferability_Factsheet.pdf

Military Tuition Assistance
Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.     
Additionally active duty members may elect to use the MGIB "top-up" in addition to their service provided TA to cover high cost courses. REAP

Reserve Educational Assistance
REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.For more information see the REAP Pamphlet

VALOR ACT Military Training for Civilian Credit
The  also calls for the state Board of Higher Education to require each public institution of higher education to develop a set of policies and procedures governing the evaluation of a student’s military occupation(s), military training, coursework, and experience, in order to determine whether academic credit shall be awarded for such experience, training, and coursework. The policy must be in place by March 1, 2013

The Commercial Driver License (CDL) skills test waiver form may be used by service members who are currently licensed and who are or were employed within the last 90 days in a military position requiring the operation of a military motor vehicle equivalent to a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV). This waiver allows a qualified service member to apply for a CDL without skills testing. CDL knowledge (written) test(s) cannot be waived. The transfer of a School Bus(S) endorsement under this Waiver Program is prohibited.

VEAP    Veterans Educational Assistance Program
VEAP is available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program.For more information see the VEAP pamphlet

VOC REHAB for VA rated disabled Veterans  Veterans with a service-connected disability. Apply through E Benefits. Current part time NG or Reservists may apply.

Dependent / Survivor Education Benefits and Programs

Survivor and Dependent Assistance

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans.For more information click here.

DEA Pamphlet (CH 35)

Current payment rates.

For information on the Marine GYSGT John David Fry Scholarship click here


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

  • A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.
  • A veteran who died from any cause while such permanent and total service-connected disability was in existence.
  • A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.
  • A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.
  • A servicemember who is hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged for that disability. This change is effective December 23, 2006.

College Search Assistance for Military and Veterans

US News logo

US News and World Report: Best Colleges for veterans; National Universities

AC Online Colleges for Military Personnel and Veterans

Special Operations Warrior Foundation

Upward Bound (at Boston University)
Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their pre-college performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits.