Elder Care

Veteran and Spouse Elder Care Resources
Hands clasping

Elder Abuse Hotline 800-922-2275

Marshfield Council on Aging

230 Webster Street
Marshfield, MA 02050Phone:
(781) 834-5581
Fax: (781) 834-5567

8:30 - 4:30
Monday through Friday

Old Colony Elder Services 508-524-1561

VA VIP Program - Get help at home (eligibility requirements)


Aid and Attendance with VA Pension

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension

Mass health To improve the health outcomes of our diverse members, their families and their communities, by providing access to integrated health care services that sustainably promote health, well-being, independence, and quality of life.

If you already have Medicare Part A and wish to sign up for Medicare Part B, please call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contact your local Social Security office. You cannot sign up online for Medicare Part B only.

The Marshfield Board of Health contracts with Partners Health Care at Home to provide Public Health nursing services to Marshfield residents. The Marshfield BOH contracts with PHC for referrals to a full range of Home Health Care Nursing, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Speech and Language Therapy and Home Health Aide Services. Communicable Disease Control Activities and Health Screenings (i.e. blood pressure readings, immunizations, flu and children’s clinics) are also provided through the Board of Health Office.

Nursing hours at the Board of Health Office are as follows:
Tuesday  9:00-11:00am
Thursday 1:30-3:30pm

Call the BOH Office

SHINE PROGRAM Serving Health Information Needs of Elders (SHINE)
provides free health insurance counseling and assistance for Medicare beneficiaries for all ages. The also provide help in understanding medical programs and filing information.

Home Care
Individuals who want to remain in their own home but need assistance with activities of daily living may find that the Minuteman Home Care Program may meet their needs. The Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs is the primary funding source for these programs. Co-payments for services are based on a sliding fee scale. 

Home Care Services 
A comprehensive in-home assessment is conducted by a case manager who, in conjunction with a nurse, determines program eligibility. The case, client, and family caregivers develop a care plan which is reassessed on a regular basis. Services are delivered through Minuteman's extensive network of subcontracted provider agencies. The care plan may include one or more of the following services within budgetary restrictions

  • Adult Day Health Program
  • Chore Service
  • Companion
  • Dementia Day Program
  • Grocery Shopping
  • Home Based Wandering Response System
  • Meals on Wheels
  • Home Health Services
  • Housekeeping
  • Laundry Services
  • Meal Preparation
  • Medication Dispensing System
  • Personal Care
  • Personal Emergency Response System
  • Social Day Care
  • Transportation
  • Vision Habilitation
  • Memory Disorder Assessments
  • Home Modification

Program Eligibility

  • Age: 60 years or older
  • Finances: meet the guidelines as set by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs
  • Need: require assistance with a number of activities of daily living, even if other supports offer partial assistance.

VA LONG TERM CARE The department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers a spectrum of geriatric and extended care services (Adult Daycare )to veterans enrolled in its health care system. 

Guide to Long Term Care (click here)
The Guide provides information about long term care options – home and community based, and in residential settings. It also provides a "Shared Decision Making" approach to long term care decisions.

Veteran Long term Care information at LongTermCare.gov

Guidelines for placing referrals for VA funded Adult Day Health Care Contact VA 508-583-4500  to verify if the veteran is in the health care system. If Veteran is in the health care system: They have to be active with a Primary Care Physician with the VA and seen within the last year. if seen within the last year, contact PCP and ask for a consult to be placed for VA funding. From that point it goes to the PCP who will coordinate a start date and a rate with the day care and the family. An application for Extended Care Services (1O-10EC) must be completed and returned to the VA. This determines if the veteran might have a co-payment. If veteran is co-payment required they might be subject to a $15 a day co-payment.

If Veteran has not been seen within the last year, they will have to schedule an appointment with their VA PCP. At that appointment mention that they are interested in VA funded Adult Day Health Care. Co-payment still might apply.

If Veteran is not in the health care system: Click here to our Healthcare page and find the links to apply for VA Healthcare. They will need their discharge paperwork from the service and their financial information. Application needs to be filled out and they will be assessed for eligibility for health care services. Then they can request a VA PCP. They can keep their community physicians. They must be seen at either the Bedford VA or one of the clinics. They must specify where they want to receive their health care. At the first appointment, they must request funding for Adult Day Health Care.

After Veteran is approved for VA funding for day care, the social worker for the program will conduct quarterly follow-up visits and initiate referrals for other services as needed.